Where should I position my TELRAD?

Silly question this, but I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about where I should position my new Telrad finder. I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian. Ideally I'd like to position it between the focuser and the finder-scope but there isn't enough room. Would it matter if I positioned it just behind so that I can look between the focuser and finder-scope? I am a little concerned that if I do that it might be a bit too far from the front of the scope?

Put you scope in its normal viewing position then lean over it or under it until you find a position it will fit and your not uncomfortable with...it doesn't need to much free space around it just the variable switch...

I think I asked nearly the exact question when I first got mine.

Not enough room between the focuser and finder bracket and putting it on the other side of the finder makes it a bit more awkward.

The pic was my solution for a while, it worked to an extent but wasn't great. The good thing about it was after a while I realised just how little I needed the finder so I don't use a finder anymore, just a Telrad and low power EP.

I know some people swear by the finder/telrad combo though.

Hi Jkemal, looking at Mike's picture, I reckon your Telrad could be placed with the front end touching the right hand side side of the focuser plate (where the small screw is). There is enough height on the Telrad to easily provide a view between the focuser and the optical finder.

James

I've mounted mine as per the picture for exactly the reason you've stated. I actually like the finder and telrad after trying it. The telrad is really good for general spotting but I found that there were some things it doesn't see (like Saturn through thick tree branches!) where the finder was great. As such the finder has got a stay of execution and the above may well be my default configuration. I know there are extenders to raise telrads 2 or 4 inches off the scope but I couldn't see how that would help on a 200p.

For the price of a couple of tie wraps, try out the above, you might find it works for you in which case, job done!

Mark

Oh, the only issue is that you can't put the main lens cap back on the finder once telrad is in place but a bit of modification with a dremmel on the telrad base-plate will fix that if I decide to keep it up there - will let it mount further back.

Archived