Vixen VMC110L for first telescope?

Hi there all,

For a first telescope, would any of you reccomend the above?

My priorities are,

Viewing the moon and planets.

Space and weight as I do not have any storage space and would like to take it away camping.

I would like to use a webcam for imaging and I thought I could use one eyepiece holder for an EP and the other for a webcam as it has 2?

Is there anything much better for similar money out there?

I will also need a tripod, I was thinking of the matching mini-porta due to the light weight of both items.

Thanks in advance,

Robin.

While the VMC110L isnt the largest scope its views are quite impressive i've found.

I tend to use it for planetary & lunar work as its performance and clarity of vision outstrips my 150omniXLT in my opinion.

The flip mirror feature can be a lil confusing at first but you do get used to it, and learn to deal with the difference in views, I leave my webcam plugged into the straight through holder now so its always ready to go.

I havent really used it on many deep sky objects, in fact I've only really tried it against Orions Nebula before it vanished from view & it seemed to handle it ok, so i'd say it could probably handle the more visible / larger objects without too much hassle, just dont go expecting picture perfect views.

The weight is ideal too, I use it on an old heavy-duty photographic tripod which does wobble a bit with the scope screwed onto it, but it doesnt interfere with the viewing if you let it settle down afterwards.

The dovetail bar can be mounted on the side of the scope or on the bottom so you can use pretty much any mount you like & of course has the standard photographic tripod screwhole in the bar too, so its quite versatile for mounting options.

Holy Thread ressurect Batman (sorry mods, been a busy few days, dont mean to necro but a question was asked & its only manners to answer even if it is a lil late)

Sorry Robin, I dont have pictures to share as i've only just started using the webcam with it & its quite a different kettle of fish to visual observing.

You may find these thread useful;

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/173337-vixen-vmc110l.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/177837-vixen-vmc110l-after-month-use.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/106790-vixen-vmc-110l-ota-review.html

Sorry I dont have any pictures, but I hope those threads will help inform you a lil more of what I consider a most useful scope

Archived