Finderscope advice

Hi guys,

I have a slight dilemma and thought some knowledgable person on here may have a solution :D

In terms of aligning finderscopes I notice that most instructions advice you to do it in the daylight, which is fair enough. However they ask you to select an object between a quarter of a mile to about a mile away (a mile in the case of a Celeston CPC, which I'll eventually be getting one day).

As I will only be using my telescope in my garden I haven't got sight of anything that is as far away as that as there are always houses in the way or shrubbery. I have quite a large garden, but it is quite rectangular, so there is nothing in my field of vision that is as far as they suggest, so I'm not quite sure what I can do to accurately align the finderscope. (especially if I get the CPC, good grief!).

Has anyone got any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm in a similar situation. I usually align my finder scope to a neighbours TV ariel about 25-30m away. I find this is then accurate enough to point towards a bright star or planet and fine-tune.

Archived