mounting william optics RDF to Skywatcher

i bought a William optics RDF off fleabay with the intention of mounting it to a skywatcher reflector

it came with the vertical leg but no base , i found a self adhesive base and stuck it next to the finder scope

when i try to align the RDF there dosnt seem to be enough travel in the grub screws and i run out of thread before i get enough elevation/depression

what am i doing wrong??

many thanks

I think the correct base for these is meant to be screwed to the OTA, if you have not got the right base don't worry, as a compromise with a little DIY, set the alt and az screws at their midway point, then find a small block of metal, plastic or even hardwood, shape to the correct angle to bring the finder on line with your finder scope, if necessary shape the base to the profile of the OTA, when your satisfied fix the leg of the finder to the little base, then Velcro to your scope. This may be a lot of faffing about as you could try Astro Boot for a base, they have odd bits from time to time, or have word with FLO they may also have one in stock that may fit. Or you could simply ask the membership if anyone has such a base in their rummage box, one of these will bring you a solution I am sure, to save you tearing your hair out :D

John.

Archived