Photographing Everything!

Hi all.

There is a book that seems to be highly recommended on this site called Making Every Photon Count. I was wondering if anyone here has read it and might be able to offer me advise on this subject. You see, having recently collimated my SW200p and finally being able to see respectable images, I would really like to take some pictures of what I can see. I dont have a goto or motor etc, purely manual control :-(

If that ends the journey of recording images, then I shall have to wait till I can upgrade. However, if imaging is still possible, I would like to take some. So far, I havent found any objects other than the moon, planets, pleaides and i think M45 Orions something or other, or was it M35 or M31.....:-) (clueless)

So Im looking to see if there is a book that gives all the info i need to image the moon, planets and Deep sky. MAPC looks like it may cover the topic of DS images but does it explain about planets etc. And as a DSLR owner, I really want to images constellations etc. Tried once and it was a blanket of dark sky with zero stars, even though the sky was full of them!

If any one could advise I would be most grateful.

...Daedalus

Not sure of the settings. When i download my images, the settings download too. So if i see a good image and save it, i note the settings. Because they were all rubbish i deleted them along with the settings. Do you have ideas of the settings needed for sky imaging. Camera will be on a tripod with 10sec timer.

HI,

Im a newbie too and just started straight up DSLR constellation imaging. Ive found max ISO (for me thats about 800) and about a 15 second exposure time gives a good exposure.

Of course if that is too noisy drop the ISO and increase the exposure length, but if you do that you need to be mindful of startrails - of course startrails are beautiful too but only if you were aiming for them :)

Using a 10 sec timer on a tripod really helps with the vibrations so that is good, either that or get a cheap (£3) shutter release cable.

Good luck

Archived