Mysterious Bolts

I've just got myself a very nice Skywatcher collapsible dob. It's all assembled and ready to go when the clouds clear. There is a threaded bolt on each of the legs next to the tee bar tightener which doesn't get a mention in the manual. Can anyone tell me what they're for please?

Thanks

Graeme

post-29712-133877759816_thumb.jpg

When the top section is extended you just snick the T-bolts up finger tight so the whole assembly doesn't slide back down.

You'll also find a spanner head bolt next to each T-bolt with a tape over it. Don't remove the tape as this helps to maintain the collimation :)

They're the ball and spring retainers for the click lock when the scope is extended. Don't unscrew them or you may lose some parts and they are a fiddly job to refit. You can set the tension by loosening or tightening them but they don't take much to unscrew completely out so be careful.

Yup - gaffer tape or duct tape should do the job - just set the spring bolts so the ballbearings click nicely into place when you extend the top section and allow you to slide it back down smoothly when you press lightly on the handles.

Then tape the bolts in place and the trusses will hold everything in almost exactly the same place every time, preserving collimation. You may have to tweak collimation a tiny bit at the start of each session. I sometimes wipe a little furniture polish on the trusses to lubricate the process :)

Archived