Hi there, i need some help on image capturing

Hi there,

I’m new here and new to Astronomy, although I’ve always been interested it’s just something that I’ve never been able to afford, but my wife recently purchased me a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope as a present, I have spent a good few nights planet and star watching and get a really good view of the moon, I have a couple of extra bits like a Barlow x2 lens and a moon filter but now id really like to get some good images to study on my pc but I’m unsure what the best way to go about it is, I have seen online that you can adapt a simple webcam to your scope and video it to your pc to get some really good shots, could anyone recommend if this is a good way and also what do I need to look out for in a webcam? Unfortunately I don’t have alot of money to play with so cost would be an issue.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice

Jon

I would recommend the webcam route. A DSLR will be too heavy for that scope.

you can download sharpcap to a laptop or computer and use the computer screen to image. Although, not sure how well the 70AZ will do imaging wise. you may be limited to lunar or large bright objects.

I thoroughly recommend the adapted webcam route - it's dead easy (once everything is lined up). FWIW, I'd start with a sub £10 webcam and practice on the moon other large objects to see if this is the method for you. If it is, then you can splash £50+ on a 'good' webcam.

Archived