Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice needed yet again!

Arushin

Hi everyone.

So...

I bought myself a Skywatcher NEQ6 pro mount, an autoguider, a Canon 1100D and a SWED80 (wow...what a cracking bit of kit) to learn deep sky imaging and then tried to get a good Planetary imaging scope.

I found an 8" RC astrograph on UK Astro B&S and after much pondering decided to go for it, so parted with a big chunk of wonga (the last of my budget).

Low and behold 'no good for planets' (ED80 gave a far better result on Mars a few night ago). To be fair, I was warned that the centre obstruction might be an issue. It is quite well collimated and optics have been tested at between1/8-1/9.

Yes, I could keep her and use her for deep sky imaging which is, after all, what it was designed for but then I would be looking at selling the ED80 which is something I don't want to do.

Anyway... The 8" RC is now listed on the same site I bought it from less than 6 weeks ago for less than I paid.

Now, assuming I can get a reasonable price for it (not expecting miracles here), does anyone have any good suggestions on what I should be looking at for planetary work. I don't think I will be able to stretch to the price of a second hand C11 or 9.25 or even a 150 or 180 Mak, so have been thinking of mounting a Newtonian onto the EQ6 and piggy backing the ED80 for deep sky. Will this work and what sort of aperture and F ratio would yield better results with a Phillips webcam than my old SW127 Mak?

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

;)

Second had SCT OTAs from Meade are mucky cheap. Sometimes they've been deforked after mount failures etc but they are good planetary imaging scopes. I have a ten inch which isn't for sale but for which I wouldn't expect to get more than £400 despite its being fine optically.

By the way I think 'quite well collimated' for a Ritchey Chretien means 'not collimated' because they really are pernickety.

Olly

Thanks ollypenrice,

I think I know what you mean about the RC.

Collimating this beast would be a real pain without the knowledge or right kit. I think I will regard it as out of collimation....just in case.

Looked at a few second hand Meade and Celestron OTA's but have just ordered a SW180 pro Mak as I used to get really good results when I had the 127 version. I am going to stick with what I know.

VERY expensive learning curve.

Thanks again

Archived