NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 300p flextube questions

I took my new flextube out to my dark site for the first time and I had a look at our familiar friend the Orion nebula, it's something special through a 300p! Anyway, I digress, I was trying to focus on Jupiter with the 7mm and I couldn't focus at all, it was just going past the focus point. Then I tried the 26 and I focused but there was just too much light and no detail.

I had collimated it perfectly before we left and again when we go there, plus I did a star test and all was good. I noticed the moon was "wavy" like a road on a hot day, which I believe is from the mirror cooling down. Could this have prevented me seeing Jupiter in focus? The moon stayed "wavy" till it dropped behind the trees, so for well over an hour. Is that usual?

I was in North Devon over the weekend, super Dark Skies !! But, if I remember rightly, there was a really bad haze on Saturday. The moon looked out of focus with the naked eye !! Sunday was really good for me though, I got my first glimpse of the Andromeda galaxy :blob10:

Archived