Jupiter though a webcam

It's ok, focus may be a little out. It's very tricky using a webcam to begin with. Remember most people use a webcam to take videos which they then turn into a photo using something like registax, this is what brings out all the detail.

Looks to me like your focusing is out too - look at the link in my sig, that's the Jupiter I get using a 130 and 2x barlow.

Also, look into making yourself a focusing mask of some kind - I use a Bahtinov and it does simplify focusing a great deal! (I even use it to focus visually sometimes just to make sure I'm as best focused as possible!)

If I get a Bahtinov mask and use it to get a proper focus on (say) Venus, viewing through my 25mm ep, will that mean I'll still be in focus when I take out the 25mm and substitute a 6.5mm ep?

And ditto when I take out the 6.5 and insert the webcam?

Doesn't the 130 use a spherical mirror, which coupled with the barlow causes that colourshift around the disk. Also Jupiter is now not best placed this time of year, being quite low and now moving further away from us.

Down load Registax and try stacking the video, then move the sliders 1 to 3 on the wavelets when done, you may find it pulls out more data than the video itself

If I get a Bahtinov mask and use it to get a proper focus on (say) Venus, viewing through my 25mm ep, will that mean I'll still be in focus when I take out the 25mm and substitute a 6.5mm ep?

And ditto when I take out the 6.5 and insert the webcam?

No, you will need to refocus with each eye piece and camera. That's why you use a mask, because it's hard to focus on a small screen, so the mask aids that.

Also, @Drkrell, my images of Jupiter are no where near good enough I feel for my equipment. Those were my first shots, and will hopefully continue to improve.

Thanks for all your advice guys. It sounds like anything else.....practice. Practice with the focus , gain, FPS and exposure etc. I do have a Bahtinov mask and so will use that now to improve focus. I noticed last night that the image in my eyepiece looked really sharp but the webcam image as you can see is not. So I fiddled with the webcam settings and immediately saw an improvement, there was an Auto Enhancer setting switched on. I will keep going and keep practising. Hopefully I will be able to post an improved video and pictures in the coming days.

I noticed last night that the image in my eyepiece looked really sharp but the webcam image as you can see is not.

Also, you will likely have a different focusing point between eye piece and webcam, so try focusing when the webcam is installed with the bahtinov.

I use a bahtinov mask for focussing and it works fine so far. It's a thingy you put in front of your scope - just rests on the scope - follow instructions - focused - take it off - go to your planet and shoot.

Archived