Skywatcher Startravel 102 - Help

Hello all,

I'm new here, (i've introduced myself in another, er room, if that's what they're called?!) and also new to the whole astronomy thing.

My missus has bought me a skywatcher startravel 102 (eq1) telescope, god love her. I'm really enjoying using it, was just wondering if anyone else has one, do you have any top tips, and what kind of objects will be best viewed using it?

It has 10mm & 25mm eps with it, plus a x2 barlow (i have no idea what all this means by the way!)

Have to say i'm struggling to get to grips with it, balance, which EPS to use etc, but i've only had it a few days so i guess it just takes practice.

Any advice welcome.

The Startravel range are short wide field scopes.

They are achromats, meaning the construction of the lens uses "standard" glass types, what are in effect not ED glass types.

The result of this is that if you look at something like the moon you will see colour in the image around the moon. Some people this annoys others don't care. Just expect it and don't panic.

Eyepieces, The supplied ones can leave something to be desired, same with the barlow.

Try the scope with the 25mm first, get something in the centre then swap to the 10mm. You may have to be both quick and smooth in doing this as objects move and you can move the scope also. So willing to bet that the first several attempts what you started with isn't in view when you change.

As said the scope is intended for wide views, not magnification. The scope is f/5 so a 5mm eyepiece will give 120x. Suggest you accept that as a maximum.

The barlow is simply a lump of optics that doubles the magnification, usually refered to as halving the eyepiece focal length. So the 25mm with the barlow becomes a 12.5mm eyepiece, the 10mm becomes a 5mm. Try the 10mm and the barlow BUT expect mush.

With the 25mm, locate Orion, pont scope at Orions Sword, have a look and swap to the 10mm.

Using your eyes locate Orions belt, follow the belt from left to right and keep going, you pass an Orange/red star (have a look) but keep going still and you bump into a cluster called The Pleiades this should look good with the 25mm, then the 10mm.

The scope is good on clusters - get a book, and will show doubles, for this search the web for "coloured double stars" think a US club has a good list of 20 coloured doubles.

Other then that get used to the scope and use it for what it is best, low/medium magnification.

Oh yest point it Jupiter in the early evening, western sky. When Saturn is in a friendlier position try the scope on that but you may need a reasonable 5mm eyepiece and not the 10mm+barlow.

hello and welcome.....

Congrats with your telescope and good to hear you enjoy it!

Iam quite new to it myself but I should be able to help you with the basics.

the 'mm' in the eyepieces give you an indications to determine the magnification of your telescope by dividing the focal length of your telescope (if you know it?) by the 'mm' of your eye piece.

For example, my telescope has an focal length of 1200mm and if I use my 25mm eyepiece I will get (1200/25) 48x magnification.

The barlow lens you got will double this magnification as it is a x2 barlow. The x2 means then that, if I use it on my scope, my magnification will be double so (48x2) 96x magnification.

Will you have a x3 barlow it will triple your magnification of your scope and EP your using. So for me it will be 48x3 = 144

I hope this will clear things up for you :)

Thanks for the tips chaps, I have to say that at the moment any inadequacies with the scope (ie, the eyepieces supplied with it, colour around the moon etc) haven't come into play...i'm still in the 'jesus christ, that's saturn, i can see the rings n everything' stage!

As for the moon, the little bleeder hasn't been out since i've had my telescope, i'm really looking forward to seeing it!

So it's good for looking at clusters then? That sounds intriguing, i'll have a look at that.

Astro-nova, i see you're in wolves, i live in kingswinford. Are there any astronomy clubs near us?

Astro-nova, i see you're in wolves, i live in kingswinford. Are there any astronomy clubs near us?

Hello neighbour then lol

There is, however Iam not sure how active they actually are, I look it up for your, wont be a moment.

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-events/97315-wolves-black-country-observing-group.html

There you go :) Just subscribe there and you should get a message when some one post on there.

Regarding what your seeing atm..... Saturn is a big wow factor for a lot of people, I have myself. I lack of a barlow so that be my first further investment, saturn will then my next target again.

If you spot jupiter (not sure if you have already) it be quite special as well. When I first looked at it I was just expecting the planet with it red/brown/white bands. But when I looked in to the eyepiece, BANG! Jupiter PLUS 4 moons orbiting the ******. Did not expect that at all! But Ive only got my 25mm and 10mm EP so there is way more detail to get out of my scope

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-events/97315-wolves-black-country-observing-group.html

There you go :) Just subscribe there and you should get a message when some one post on there.

Regarding what your seeing atm..... Saturn is a big wow factor for a lot of people, I have myself. I lack of a barlow so that be my first further investment, saturn will then my next target again.

If you spot jupiter (not sure if you have already) it be quite special as well. When I first looked at it I was just expecting the planet with it red/brown/white bands. But when I looked in to the eyepiece, BANG! Jupiter PLUS 4 moons orbiting the ******. Did not expect that at all! But Ive only got my 25mm and 10mm EP so there is way more detail to get out of my scope

Excellent, thanks for that.

I have spotted jupiter, but i think i was going in way too close as it was just a big sphere with no features. Since then i found saturn but realised not to zoom in too much to be able to see the features, so when i get chance i'll have another crack at jupiter and not zoom in.

So to see the moons, would i use the barlow then?

I had great views without but with barlow you might pick up even more details. NOt handed a barlow yet so I would not have a clue....you probably tried it in the mean time cause it has been clear past few days!

They do say not to use too much magnification, it causes less resolution. But #i think it is just a matter of experimenting

let me know how you got on further..

Archived