Laser Pointers

Isn't it illegal (and obviously dangerous) to point a laser pointer into the sky, in case it blinds pilots of aeroplanes? I'm sure I've read somewhere in the press recently about people being sought out and prosecuted by the police for directing laser pointers into the sky & hitting planes....?

I see this has been discussed at length in other threads here ... e.g.

http://stargazerslou...uk-star-gazing/

it`s only illegal if your stupid enough to go pointing them at planes, people and cars etc, they didn`tt go and arrest brian cox on his star gazing show when he was using one at jodrell bank, if it was illegal to point at the sky full stop then there would be alot of astronomers in jail by now.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had Howie Glatter make me a custom 30mw pointer back when green laser pointers were pretty new and 5mw was typically the most you could buy. Unfortunately given all the negative press they received due to use by less sensible individuals, I never use it any more. Perhaps if I were doing some astronomy outreach I would consider it as they are an invaluable teaching aid.

I have a 1mW green laser and you can see the beam when its properly dark. I have used it to good effect to point my dob in the right direction by shining it through the finder. I would think anything above 5mW would be overkill.

ikorodu

Archived