hi, thanks for the replies, yes they are sim ilar in someways but i believe that planet and deep space observation is much more detailed, i have a friend who is selling his scope and has offered me it at a good price but i wonder if it's worth the extra cash??

I love my 150PL

For planets its great as the extra focal length means more magnification.

For DSO's it will be better than the 130 you have as it will let in more light.

Depends what you ultimately want to view. Personally i like the planets and messier objects - for this the 150PL is perfect - especially in darker sky areas.

HTH?

Chris

It pulls i 33% more light. You'll hardly notice that. The magnification you can deal with simply by using a barlow. I'd upgrade to something larger or stick with what I have. But that's just me. Perhaps there are other differences between the scopes which may make it worth your while, such as a nicer mount.

I started with a 76 then got 2 114's and now a 127 and a 150. There's not a huge difference in the size you will see the planets between these scopes. Yes you can notice it but what you will notice more is definition. On my 76 Jupiter was a white disc with 4 moons the size of small stars, on my 127 I can make out banding and the moons are a wee bit bigger. Size difference is bigger but not by as much as you might think. As I explained to a friend, when you look at a star or planet that's nothing more than a pinprick of light, when you then magnify that pinprick by 150 you then get a full stop of light. Not much bigger but more defined. I've had the 130 and realy enjoyed it. I now have a 150 and don't use it as I prefer my 127 mak. As I said earlier, try before you buy. You may love it or may you may wish you had saved the money for a 200p or even a mak.

Archived