phillips spc900nc/ focal reducers

I managed to find one of these cameras. I really want to modify it for longer exposures. Is this link what i have to do?

Philips SPC900NC uncovered

Has anyone done this, if so where do you find the parts? Or even better is there anyone nearby prepared to help me?

Its a little daunting, i dont want to wreck my camera.

Is it even worth doing it on my setup? skymax127 on nextstar slt. Im not wanting to produce expert results, just to catalogue my sights and cross the targets off my list. will it pick any dso,s up for me if i can successfully mod it?

Also can i use a focal reducer with it. And do these reducers work ok when srewed to your eyepieces, or do they detract from quality of image when used this way. my 32mm ep doesnt give a wide enough view for some targets. I was considering a 40mm but if i a reducer would work on my cam and eyepieces i will just buy that.

any tips anyone?

I'd start by getting yourself a large drink and a comfortable chair, then sit and read through the yesyes LX mod thread.

The 127 Mak isn't exactly the ideal scope for imaging DSOs, so you might just have to suck it and see. It may well be that the sensor is just too small and the scope is too slow. The SLT mount is not going to work for you either, because you'll get field rotation in long exposures. My opinion is that you'll be wasting your time with this.

Some people do use focal reducers with this scope, others say they cause vignetting because of the long and relatively narrow baffle tube. The same problem may well occur with a 40mm eyepiece. I've not tried either though so I can't comment from personal experience.

James

Archived