Wow, just had a great hour or so.

Hi all,

So, while I wait for payday, I got my Dad to bring over his old Zenith 10 x 50s so that I could start browsing the sky. Sadly, I think they may be out of alignment, as no matter what I did, I saw two of everything.

Not wanting it to let it stop me, I just shut one eye!

So, armed with Star Chart, the iPhone app, and the binos, I have just spent the last hour in the back garden, my first real effort.

So, based on Stellarium, and Star Chart, this is what I am confident in naming that I found tonight. Stupidly, I didn't take a notebook to jot down what I think I found, so this list is done retrospectively.

Easily found Polaris, and then Kocab and Pherkad of Ursa Minor. Light pollution meant I couldn't happily find the other stars that make up the constellation.

I then took a look around Ursa Major for a while, followed by Mars.

I found a really bright star between Mars and Polaris, which I think was Arcturus, and from there I think I found Saturn and Spica, I'm not sure. Both were bright but behind a whispy band of cloud.

Anyway, I'm dead chuffed, and buzzing right now. I loved perusing the sky. It's amazing just how much the binos could let me see. SO many stars in the background that the naked eye well, mine) couldn't see. Can't wait to invest in my own set of binos, and plenty of books.

Cheers all!

Rob

Archived