whats the most versatile Webcam?

I'm thinking of starting imaging some planets and solar system images with a webcam.

I have been recommended by quite a few ppl to get the Philips SPC900NC. I have heard this can be modified to do longer exposures. If so does anyone know if this can be done to the latest version of the cam and how? Can your average person do it, and will it be adequate to capture some dso's aswell with this mod.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the amp glow mod?

any other cheap contenders for solar system imaging that can capture dso's aswell. max budget £250-£300. hoping to spend much less.

moon with my mobile phone:headbang:

post-33482-133877749718_thumb.jpg

the SPC 900 is a great planetary camera and can of course be modified for LX. Getting your hands on one can be difficult. They come up on fleabay and UK Astro Buy and Sell from time to time. I saw one go for over £150 recently! Generally speaking, you should be able to get hold of one for between £40 and £80 tops.

I managed to get one for 99p plus p&p once and only due to to a typo on the fleabay advert!

Archived