Trying to start my new Skywatcher 200p Auto

Hi Folks,

First chance of clear skies tonight since I bought my new 8" auto dob. I've got the handset into the handset port and the two motors connected via the RJ45 cable.

I've aligned it, checked collimation (seems okay), levelled it, pointed it North and I'm now trying to power it up. I bought one of these. Nothing seems to happen! I've used my voltmeter to check the output of the power supply and it's a solid +12V.

It's very sunny in my garden but I'm not sure the handset is lighting up (I don't want to wait until dark to get disappointed). Should I expect to see/hear anything? The manual is very sparse at this point.

If nothing is powering are there any tips short of returning it? ANy gotchas?

(I'm going to get Mrs Ryan to get some D batteries for the battery pack as a test.)

Cheers,

Mark.

Panic over! I've just put a duffle coat over my head and checked and the handset is lit, it was just in slow mode and that didn't seem to move anything. Put it into fast and it is starting to slew. Neighbours must think I've lost it :)

It won't raise the OTA in the vertical plane when the OTA is parallel with the ground - has to be lifted to perhaps 25/30 degrees to horitzonal before it "catches". I suspect this is the clutch issue I've read about on here?

M.

Be careful if you adjust the azimuth clutch because it's not the hexagon you can see when you remove the cover. Make sure the scope moves in all direction by hand without turning the motor (you will hear it whine when you push if it does) If it moves the motor then the clutch is too tight. You will also benefit form some weight on the back of the scope for low sky objects.

I had to strip mine completely and rebuild it properly to get it work as it should without backlash etc and my azimuth clutch was tightened to the point of zero clutch slip.

Archived