NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My weekend "observing".

Astroman

I'd scheduled a visit to Steward Observatory for this weekend-a last-quarter session that looked pretty promising in June. Until the weather changed.

I got to Tucson on schedule at ~1:00pm. The skies had some high clouds, and word was it was windy on the mountain-Kitt Peak. Nothing new, as it's always windy on the peak, but the humidity was up and airplane contrails were all over. Not a good sign. We went up the hill around 3pm,as usual, and the storm clouds were gathering.

Right as we arrived, a gamma ray burst announcement arrived, too. Unfortunately, it was located at -68º South, so we couldn't image it if we wanted to-hard stops for the SARA scope are -20ºS. It was just as well, since we never opened the dome. The storms were upon us, but satellites showed some clearing behind, so we hung around.

A couple of close lightning strikes and thunderclaps later, there came a phone call. "All personell are to evacuate the mountain immediately. A lightning started fire is to our south and moving rapidly closer." :shock: A look out the door, into the teeth of the wind showed the fire and smoke. Since SARA is located on the southern-most tip of Kitt Pear, even farther south than McMath-Pierce Solar Obs., (all of 20'), we figured it was time to go.

Tucson news picked up the story a little while later, and you could see the smoke on the KPNO webcams:

http://www.noao.edu/kpno/kpcam/

I got home around 11:00, and the storms followed me there. We got hit by high winds that did a little damage around 2am Sunday, but nothing too severe happened to the dome.

If you've ever been in a really hairy thunderstorm at 7200 feet, you'll realize how "exciting" it was. Being surrounded by the largest collection of optical telescopes in the world and being the highest point in Southern Arizona, well you get the picture.

:wink:

P.S. I just learned the mountain is closed up for monsoons until August 14. :cool::lol:

Lord Almighy AM. How fortunate you are to have such a facility almost on your doorstep.

It's my Image of paradise, and those webcam images just confirm it.

Not just all those domes, and the huge variety of instruments therein, but all the history that pervades the hill.

If Daz is mind set on visiting next year, visiting that place will only put masses of icing on the big cake.

Splendid place to visit.

Thanks for sharing your visit.

Ron.

Archived