My first time...

The Peterborough Astronomical Society has kindly agreed to let me attend a star party tomorrow night so I can look at the equipment and pick everyones brains for advise etc, I was just wondering if anyone on here had any tips or things I should ask etc so I don't waste the opportunity.

I have managed to get hold of an old pair of 10x50 binos, and I have borrowed a DSLR with a tripod and a 25mm lens and a 40-150mm lens from my photographer brother along with a head torch. Hoping for some nice lunar shots maybe.

Anyways, any hints, tips, advise, ideas, thoughts or notions that a rank amateur would not think of would be gratefully received!

See if you can get to look through as many different types/sizes of telescopes/eye piece combinations...as possible.

There are plenty of planets on view just at the moment and M42 in Orion is still a peachy object... So see if you can view these through as many scope as possible...it will give you a real feel for what the difference is between a short focal length/wide field telsescope as opposed to a long focal length/high maginfication scope...

This may be a tall order for your first time...and may well just confuse you even more...so more than anything just enjoy the experience....

Let us know how you get on...

Archived