Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 102 SLT - new eyepieces - advice pls

Hello all,

I have just picked up a Celestron 102 SLT refractor online for a very nice price (but hopping I will not regret buying it instead of the Celestron 130 reflector - too late if I do, I have bought the refractor now!). I am now worrying I have made a bad choice - there are so many conflicting reviews on the web. The main reason I went for the refractor is I need something that is relatively grab and go to fit in the boot of a 60s (real) Mini Cooper :). The deal also came with a Celestron 2x Barlow.

I have been warned that the EPs supplied with the 102SLT are not wonderful and that I might look for some alternatives. I believe it will be supplied with a 9mm and 25mm EPs. I am minded to get a 5mm (or would 6mm be better?) to improve viewing of the moon and planets and then perhaps, say a 15mm to fill the gap between the 10 and 25mm supplied.

I am looking at the:

* 5 (or 6mm??) TMB Planetary II for £39, and

* 15mm 'TMB designed' for £36

----- The 18mm BST ED60 Explorer at £47 also looks very nice.

all are at: 1.25" Eyepieces on Sky's The Limit

This is my first telescope so i would appreciate any advice on EPs, are those listed above reasonable? is there better for similar money? Whilst I am still 'dipping my toe in the water' I don't really want to spend much over £40 for each EP.

Would be pleased to find any example images taken on a 102SLT.

Cheers

Carl

I have the Nexstar 102 SLT as a 'holiday' scope. It is a great telescope, although the mount can be a little wobbly. I fitted it with a Skywatcher electronic focuser, which was well worth it, and some Skywatcher tube rings so that it will balance with a DSLR on the end (or 2" eyepieces, which it will take if you want a really wide FOV).

I have a gallery of images here,

http://www.dur.ac.uk/nigel.metcalfe/astro/slt_canon.php

although beware that many of them were taken with it mounted on an HEQ5 mount (I have indicated where the SLT mount was used).

NigelM

I've got a bit of a mixture of EP's that I use on my 102 SLT:

32mm Celestron Omni Plossl

24mm Baader Hyperion

10mm Baader Hyperion

7mm Baader Genuine Ortho

The 25mm that comes with it is OK, but the 10mm is poor and the one that you'd want to replace soonest.

Thanks for the advice guys .... those photos taken on an SLT mount look great!

The bad news ... well ... it looks like the Celestron x2 barlow I ordered with new scope is on back order with no expected deliver date.

I have noticed the following on sale at Amazon:

Celestron AstroMaster® Accessory Kit - Accessories

Does anyone know if this is the standard x2 celestron barlow retailing for normally £22-30 or is it an inferior kit item?

Any thoughts on the EPs? 15mm and 6mm - seem useful sizes but are these also poor kit quality or standard celestron EPs normally selling for about £30 each?

Many thanks

Carl

Archived