NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First (proper) nights stargazing

Nyx

I did manage a quick hour 10 days ago where I had my first encounter with the moon - wow - from my back garden. But due to this being very rushed I though I would just class it as a practise run.

Last night I put my nice new 200p back into its original box, loaded into the van and headed for Dartmoor. I dragged my husband along for protection and we ended up at Hay Tor - for no other reason than it is easy to get to for us and would be quite dark.

Getting there and getting set up was very painless, it was a little chilly but nothing too bad and there was no wind. Definitely a bonus given our chosen location. The only downside to our choice seemed to be the lights from passing cars. not that many but I may have to look for somewhere quieter.

The view of the stars from hear was truly amazing. So many visible to the naked eye. Venus and Jupier were easily spotted but I struggled to find many of the constellations because of the vast number of 'new' stars.

:) Confession time, I have not yet taken the time to line up my finder scope so finding anything was difficult. I soon had venus but with no prior experience Jupiter took some time - even when they appeared so close. Eventually though I got there and I have to say - wow - again. I was pleased to be able to see three moons with the low power EP and I think 4 with a higher mag.

Changing the eyepieces while still trying to keep Jupiter in my sights was as challenging as finding it in the first place. Very frustrating at times, but I guess this will get better with experience. :icon_salut:

Next on my wish list was Mars. Not quite as easy to spot as the previous planets but found. Again then came the struggle of finding it with the scope (I know I have to sort out the finder) and the jubilation of success. Have to be totally honest though and say I thought it would be more colourful through the scope than it appeared?

The downside of having protection along - they can get cold and bored before you meaning it was too soon time to leave. Still with good views of the 3 planets and a hike along the learning curve it was probably the right time to call it a night.

Just as well because seconds later we were engulfed in Dartmoor fog. Everything was soaked and visibility was zero.

A good first night, looking forward to the next. :)

Sounds like you had a great session. It makes such a difference seeing in darker skies (obviously!) but as you say, it makes picking out certain stars a little more difficult!

I tend to download skymaps monthly star charts, then take a printout with me. They are useful because they point out all the features visible with small/medium telescopes.

Next time you are out you must make the Orion Nebula your target, it will look stunning in dark skies, and with a 200mm aperture too (it looks fantastic in my 130mm)... Also, locate the W of Cassiopeia and just marvel at the amount of stars visible in the milky way, it is astounding...

I also found Mars to be less colourful than I thought. My scope needs proper collimation so I can't comment on how detailed or sharp I can get it, but all I get is a bright, yellowy disc. Still, great to see nonetheless.

Hope you get out again soon!

I tend to download skymaps monthly star charts, then take a printout with me. They are useful because they point out all the features visible with small/medium telescopes.

Have to say there are so many sites online finding a simple guide to the nights viewing has been difficult, but I did find the Sky Map tonight and have to agree with you that this should prove useful.

Orion will be on my list next time. Cheers.

Congrats on taking the first nibble of the bait - next time you go out you'll likely take the whole hook. Our close solar system neighbors are pretty nice to observe but when you see some deep sky objects (DSOs) you'll be blown away...the Orion Nebula (M42) is a must on everyone's list! You'll have plenty of things to look at within a constellation of Orion - just don't rush yourself and have a good time. And figure out your finder scope...that's a must also. Learning the night sky takes a little time...but you'll have a greater appreciation for "what's out there" after a few sessions.

Happy hunting.

Archived