Eyes on the Sky: Mar 12 thru Mar 18

Mars literally floats right through the galaxies M95, M96 and M105 this week; if you've never tried to spot them before, NOW is the time! Venus and Jupiter are of course dancing past each other early in the week, with Venus rising past the "King of the Planets" in the western sky. While you're looking west, check out some open clusters in Perseus; the Milky Way runs right through this constellation, and has some wonderful objects to share. And Saturn is well above the horizon before midnight, so check out the ringed planet as it nears opposition next month - all in about 5 minutes:

:) Sorry to hear that; it had been largely cloudy for me up until last week as well. I hope it clears for you soon!

It's my own fault. I purchased new eyepieces.

So far, in a week, I have had a total of 30 mins peeking through the clouds at Jupiter.

It's my own fault. I purchased new eyepieces.

So far, in a week, I have had a total of 30 mins peeking through the clouds at Jupiter.

Yes, unfortunately that is one surefire way to wind up with cloudy weather - buying new astronomy gear. :):)

Too hazy to see much of anything other than Jupiter tonight, sadly. Still, actually managed to see some banding on Jupiter this time rather than just a white orb, which is a bonus.

Bummer about the haze, but at least you were able to see something with Jupiter. That's better than nothing. :)

Archived