Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on focuser

Hi all,

I am new to this and have found this forum contains a wealth of excellent information - thank you.

I have a skymax 127 mak on a skywatcher A-Z goto mount. I have fitted a Baader clickzoom 8-12mm eyepiece (very good) but heavy! I am thinking of fitting a dual speed SCT focuser (which will need the synta SCT adapter) because the image wobbles like a jelly at every focus adjustment, these focusers are quite long at 70 to 100mm and I would like to know

1. If the scope will still focus OK

2. I am a bit concerned about the weight although I realise I will have to rebalance the scope on the mount. Any thoughts

I have a very heavy sandbag dangling from the tripod which has improved stability no end!

I have found the zoom ep very good for alignment, find the star at 24mm then zero in to 8mm and PAE , the skywatcher handset aligns very well doing this. I am also using Stellarium with its own plug in driver but the scope symbol is consistantly out, still its handy for a newbie to steer around the sky!! I have also tried the Ascom driver (choosing the Celestrion 5i scope) it connects but no scope cross hairs appear only the "steering" panel, which does work. I have double checked the correct time,lat/long and altitude. Where am I going wrong?

Sorry this is so long and just out of interest are many of you divorced because my wife is beginning to get a tad put-out with my nocturnal goings on???

regards and thank you

Archived