NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bright feature on Mars 11:00 UK time

Ags

I was observing Mars last night and saw a bright region on the planet in addition to the north pole. If the North Pole was at 1:30 on the clock, the bright feature was on the limb of the planet at 10:00 o'clock. Stellarium shows a bright region at that point, but what is it? Any ideas? It was much brighter than the North Pole (which seems to have got less pronounced over the past month...).

If it was on the limb then I think you will have seen Martian clouds / haze. Well done! From your description it sounds like it was on the morning limb -i.e. the limb from where features rotate onto the disc as seen from Earth.

Basically, you've just seen Martian weather! :D

I thought it must be cloud. Often the cloud is associated with a surface feature on Mars, like Olympus Mons...

I'm quite pleased, really surprised I could make out Martian clouds with my modest scope :-)

Archived