Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hybrid Bino & Scope astro

Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention something I just found out as it's something I'm finding useful. Other newbies might too.

I recently dipped a toe in the water and bought some Olympus 10x50 binoculars, and I've used an opticron tripod adapter mounted to a Manfrotto QR plate for that.

I've also since bought a 15-45x60mm spotting scope, it too is now fitted with a QR Plate.

What's neat about it all is that I can use my binoculars for a wide ranging view just hopping around my favourites, but now if I spot something of more interest, I can simply lock the tripod head, swap over from binoculars to spotting scope and bring some more power to bear. The neat thing being that the view is more or less set up ready to go! Takes less than say 30 seconds all done, and I can see that figure dropping quite soon as I gain some familiarity with it all.

I'm finding it a really comfortable way to work. OK, I obviously miss the stereo effect in the view when switching over to the scope for more power, but I really don't mind too much at all. It's still a very portable set up and really not bad views all told. Best of all it's very affordable.

Now I can start to settle down to observing and learning a bit more comfortably.

Allowing for the adapters as well the whole lot was say about £137 delivered, which is really not too bad given the flexibility and reasonable views I'm getting.:D

Archived