NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Auto guiding with a digital camera

This may be a daft question, but would it be possible to use a regular digital camera with a reasonable magnification as a guide scope?

I have a Panasonic FZ-38 with an 18x optical zoom. I've mounted it on top of my scope a couple of times to take basic wide field photos and it's adequate for this simple function.

Just wondered if I could make use of it this way?

Pretty sure that isn't going to work. For a start you would need to connect it to your finder at the very least. Plus you need a very light sensitive chip that will send video (not static pictures) back to your PC/Mount.

Plus you need a very light sensitive chip that will send video (not static pictures) back to your PC/Mount.

Is that right? I guide on 2 or 3s exposures based on where I'm pointing, that's not imported as a video stream is it?

I don't see any reason why this couldn't be attempted, it does have a lot of pitfalls though. (and I fear a LOT!)

The primary one being the guiding softwares ability to control the camera to take the exposures as it needs to.

PHD does have a Windows Media driver (I think!) but whether it can see your camera and control it ...... have a go :D If you can get PHD talking to the camera, that's half the battle won.

Is that right? I guide on 2 or 3s exposures based on where I'm pointing, that's not imported as a video stream is it?

I don't see any reason why this couldn't be attempted, it does have a lot of pitfalls though. (and I fear a LOT!)

The primary one being the guiding softwares ability to control the camera to take the exposures as it needs to.

PHD does have a Windows Media driver (I think!) but whether it can see your camera and control it ...... have a go :D If you can get PHD talking to the camera, that's half the battle won.

Fair enough. Would definitely be easier to acquire a decent webcam and adapter for your finderscope though. Not even that expensive either.

If you like troubleshooting and doing things as cheaply as possible then go for it :headbang:

Cheers guys. :D Just wondered if it would be worth a go as I have all the necessary kit and it wouldn't cost me anything. :headbang:

I'll have a play and see if PHD likes it, if not I'll just go back to my original plan of using my Evostar 120 and a modded xbox livecam for guiding.

Fair enough. Would definitely be easier to acquire a decent webcam and adapter for your finderscope though. Not even that expensive either.

If you like troubleshooting and doing things as cheaply as possible then go for it :headbang:

I agree completely :D

Archived