Help I am new

Hi i have a skywatcher 127 and have bought a canon 350d camera i would love to take astrophotography very serious, i would like to connect the laptop to the telescope so i can move it via the laptop, i have purchased a RVO 10m PC Cable For Skywatcher Telescopes and a rs 232 to usb conector, i have attatched the camera via the provided cable and downloaded numerous pieces of software but nothing happens, i can not connect the telescope or camera to the laptop, i am running windows 7 please please help i really want to get started!! thanks

Welcome to SGL :)

I have no experience with the set up you've described but there are a couple of areas you could search for help. You could try the dicussions- scopes / whole set up section or Imaging - Image processing help & techniques.

As Dobby said, the SkyMax 127 is not suitable for long-exposure astrophotography, but to get your PC communicating with the mount you have, it would help if you say exactly which pieces of software you have and what you've tried to do with them.

For me, all it took was the Cartes du Ciel planetarium prog and the ASCOM platform, with the Celestron universal mount driver.

Your setup is great for observing and simple webcam work, but no good for astrophotography. If you want to learn about how to do AP, I recommend Steve Richards's book, Making Every Photon Count. Serious astrophotography is neither easy nor cheap.

There are very few telescopes that will work with a PC or Computer, the switching within the cables for a start are never the same from PC to PC unless you use an RS232 cable (very few PC's) have that socket on now.

I have tried my own new Laptop & Telescope to operate together with all sorts of cables, it simply wont even notice anything connected to it.

Another thing to remember, by looking at your computer screen then going to your Telescope you wont see anything for ages, I know, I have done that.

Archived