my oh my

having only had bins before i didn't realise how fast the planets move across a telescope's FOV,I was constantly adjusting on my dob mount [at 20mm it wasn't to bad but at 7 mm it was every 3 seconds ] I take it you eventually get dobsonian knee and do it automatically?

ps the view of jupiter and it's 4 moons was excellent as was venus ,tried to find the orion nebula seen a grey smudge just above and to right of the bottom star of orion ,but no detail so don't know if that was the right place:(. and finally the moon when i moved in the craters were flat [using bins they seem to be 3 d rather than 2 d ] but was still a nice 3hrs of viewing [forgot to wrap up so got a bit cold :)]

eventually you get practiced. If you want get a better view of the nebula put your widest eyepiece on and move a little higher you should see the trapesium then with some nebulosity round it its about halfway up his kilt and down from the middle star of the belt aprox

When looking at the orion nebula it is common for people to

try and see it by looking at the lit up area (the white smudge)... actually you need to ignore the white... and focus your attention on where the white STOPS and darkness begins. THIS is the gas cloud. The longer you look, the scarier and swirlier it becomes.

My most loved object after Saturn.

Archived