A question about filters

Hi, everyone!

Whenever anyone has a moment, I just had a silly little question about EP filters. The 1.25" EP set and case I bought with my telescope last November came with a collection of different colored EP filters which I have yet to use. I understand from Celestron that the various colors can sometimes enhance the viewing of different planets (and possibly other celestial objects?), is that true? Are they commonly used by others?

I ask because my new Baader Hyperion 10mm EP just arrived, it appears to be the approximate size and weight of a hand grenade (making me wonder if it's going to snap my diagonal in two when I use it (pained smile)), and clearing out all but the moon filter (which I also have never used but actually think I might someday) left me with a nice, hand grenade-sized space in my EP case for the Baader.

Anyway, again, just curious. Respond at your leisure, and thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Sincerely,

~ Tim Nunes

PS: Again, my apologies if it actually is a silly question, as I appreciate how much of a neophyte I am with all of this. ;-)

Coloured filters can enhance the visibility of certain planetary features, particularly Mars and Jupiter. Their use is a somewhat personal preference, I prefer to see the planets in their "natural" colours. ;)

Hi Tim.

Coloured filter use is, as Peter said, a personal preference.

They can help. They can also hinder by introducing scatter and internal reflections if not good quality.

A few nights back, looking at Mars, to me there was little or no detail viewing natural.

A red filter really brought out the surface detail.

A skyglow filter allowed the polar cap to come through.

I have also used yellow to help with contrast on Jupiter.

You have probably realised that your Baader grenade will take a 1.25" filter on the end. Or you can unscrew the bottom lump and insert a 2" filter, which slightly changes the focal length.

Thanks, Peter! Maybe I'll try 'em out before I totally forget about them. In general though, living in one of the most light polluted parts of the States (the Chicago area), something that [potentially]reduces light might have limited everyday use (though I can certainly grab them if I'm headed to a dark sky site).

Archived