Observing Mercury

Hi all,

Mercury is the only one of the naked-eye planets that I have yet to observe, but I am finding it a little frustrating given that it is always so close to the horizon as to be lost in the haze on the horizon, or dangerously close to the sun.

Can anyone advise on the best (& safest) way to see Mercury. Even a naked eye observation of it would keep me happy!

Do I just have to wait for the right time when it is nice & high, and hope for good weather conditions on the horizon?

Thanks,

Steve

I managed to see it for the first time last night just at dusk ;)

I followed the line of jupiter & venus down and slightly south (left) and it was the only point of light to appear as it went dark 6:15ish. It sank into the western haze by 6:45-7:00

Not a big window to get a picture...

To see Mercury I tend to look for it first in binoculars, after the Sun has set, and once located can then usually see it naked eye. It also helps to know where it is with the help of a planetarium program such as CdC or Stellerium. It is especially made easier if there is another planet not far away (at the moment Venus and Jupiter).

Dave

Archived