Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus and Saturn side by each...

Last night, my wife called to me and asked me if that bright light in the sky was an airplane. I told her no, it was Venus. "Oh," she said, "that bright?" When I confirmed it, she asked about the star just above it. I said, "You can see a star there?" After a few moment's staring, I could see it too. I ventured that it might be one of the Gemini, and went for a look on Skyglobe, and came out and told her that it was Saturn. I had lost track of Saturn lately.

Tonight, when we got back from a friend's, I set up the scope, and was able to show her the two planets together in my 24mm SWA in my refractor, giving 41x, and about 1.4 degrees FOV. I was more impressed than she was. She asked if it was the Moon she was seeing, but of course it was Venus in its current crescent shape. It wasn't long ago that Venus was at half phase.

That's the first time I've had two planets in the same FOV, too. :wink:

Archived