Viewing question???

Ok, finally managed to go get my new scope out for a few minutes earlier and had some quite good views of Jupiter... However... when i set the scope up in the daylight it was a perfect view, now when i was looking at Jupiter i could see the spider legs.

I have tried adjusting the focus, used the standard 25mm wide eye relief and 2 x barlow, i can either get a small dot and nothing else or a reasonably clear view with the legs showing.

Any idea what the problem could be, could it just simply need collimating or is it a dud scope?

Thanks for your help:confused:

If you see the spider vanes you are not focussed on infinity. Whatever you focussed on during the day is much closer than anything 'up there', so the scope was out of focus from an astro point of view.

Best point it at something bright like Mars and carefully go through the whole focus travel.

Have you aligned the finder scope? You need to do this during the day by pointing the scope at something distant and then adjusting the finder scope to point at the same thing.

Have you aligned the finder scope? You need to do this during the day by pointing the scope at something distant and then adjusting the finder scope to point at the same thing.

Yes i have aligned the finder scope although i do want to replace it for a red dot, this cross hair thing is a nightmare!!

Thank you for your advice, as Ags has said i dont think it could have been focused properly, i have just tried it by looking at a few of the neighbours houses down the street and the view was perfect again. Will keep practising, shame it wasn't focused as Jupiter looked good from what i could see, could see the colours although it did have a slightly soft hazy edge

Okay pick out two distant objects during the day that your scope can see.

Focus on the nearer one.

Then focus on the further one.

Note which way you turned the focus knob to focus on the further one.

Then at night point at the moon, turn your focus knob in the direction noted and you should get focus.

Archived