Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed - Evaluation for a porro prism scope

Flying Eye

Hi all,

I'm about to get my hands on a porro prism spotting scope - so the question is, what changes might I need to make to the more usual binocular evaluation tests routine?

I've never laid a paw on a spotting scope yet, so any things I should check specifically because it's a scope instead of binocular would be good to know about.

Anyone?;)

It's 60mm with 15-45 zoom, waterproof, nitrogen, rubber coated, with side focus, with a dew shield or glare hood. BaK4 FMC. Possibly a case, less likely to be a stay on, but not known yet. Most likely China.

Actually two of them would possibly make a fair binocular on paper, assuming one could get around the zoom bit! ;)

Looks like a scrub for now; HDNL couriers destroyed it en route from Amazon. They managed to poke a hole though 4 layers of outer box, and through the product box. The whole thing only weighs a kilo and a half, so my guess is they dropped something sharpish of about 20mm diameter on top of the box. <sigh>

Out of the box, the zoom ring sticks sporadically, that and focus are both horribly stiff too. I don't know why Amazon keep giving them another chance. Daft really.

Anyway Amazon have another one on it's way to me, so hopefully.....

If it turns out the hole through the packaging isn't responsible for the above "features" then testing will not resume, and both examples will be returned.

Archived