First Purchase

New to astronomy and thinking of buying the William Optics Megrez 72 Doublet APO DDG Telescope on a SkyWatcher EQ3 PRO SynScan GOTO Equatorial Mount & Tripod. Can anybody tell me that these to go together and will allow me to take photos using my Sony NEX-5 camera. Do I need to consider anything else. Budget is around £800.

The EQ3-2 is probably a bit too unstable for astrophotography. The WO 72 is small and an EQ5 would probably be OK, and certainly better then the EQ3-2.

The worry is that if you get serious then you will at some time upgrade the scope and then need something bigger like the HEQ5.

The WO 72 is small, a doublet and reasonably short, I believe that it does show some CA, minor but present.

There is a new WO 70mm the focuser is an R&P and from what is said is better. Think it costs less as well.

The Meg72 is a small scope but it's very solid and weighty for it's size. Imho the minimum mount you would want is a Celestron CG5 or SW EQ5 (preferably the former which is better all round).

You can get the scope s/h around £250 in good condition, and the mount around £300-£350 depending on condition and extras. This would leave plenty for the accessories you'll need.

The Meg is great for widefield dso imaging but I personally don't like the ddg's. You'll probably want to add guiding once you have a bit of experience with it. And you'll definitely need a flatener - the SW one works well with it. Hope that helps :p

Archived