Telescope Help Please

Hi, this is my first post of any kind so help is needed. I want to buy my first telescope and interested in the William Optics Megrez 72 Doublet APO DDG Telescope. Opinions would be appreciated please. What type of tripod do I need I would like advise as I am interested in taking photos and tracking stars.

Have you considered the Altair Astro or Ikharus 80mm ED APO. Look for them on Altair Astros own site or Iankingimaging for the Ikharus, they are less than 2/3rds the price. Ok so you don't get the spanky new digital readout but I don't seroulsy know how many times I would actually use that. You will need a field flattener/reducer if you are taking AP. You will also need a good, motorised or goto Equatorial mount. Something like an EQ5 synscan or Celestron CG5GT. Better still but more expense a HEQ5 or 6.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

If you go to a good supplier, like our sponsors FLO, or Ian King imaging, Greenwitch near Cambridge, Telescope House, and I'm sure there are others, you will get good advice.

It's worth paying a bit more by buying from somewhere that knows what they are talking about. Buying from a "know nothing" source is more expensive in the long run.

Regards, Ed.

Archived