Need help with Orion StarShooter Autoguider

Hi, I am new to the Star Gazer's Lounge, however I have read many threads via Google searches in the past. I have done plenty of unguided astrophotography, and now I have a Orion StarShooter autoguider that I'm giving a try.

I have loaded the appropriate drivers, and I'm using PHD Guiding. I am able to connect the camera, and I have the "on camera" setting set for the mount. I can loop exposures just fine. I click on a star, and then the guide button... the calibration process seems to go fine, and then it starts guiding, but it appears that it is not making any corrections to my mount (CG5)! So within 20-30 seconds, the star moves out of the green box, and is eventually lost. Does anyone know what could be the problem? I have searched high and low on the internet for a solution, but with no luck. It seems like everything is working, but it's just not communicating with the telescope correctly. Please help! Thanks!!

Welcome to SGL!

The first thing to double check is that the PHD signals are actually moving the mount.

In the "tools" drop down menu you can use the manual guide to verify the motors are moving (just listen to them - the noise should vary)

If the calibration process works OK - then obviously it should be guiding....

Archived