Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A-Focal webcam to bino mounting collars

Flying Eye

Hi all,

I wanted to try my MS Cinema webcam mounted a-focal to my Olympus binocular.

Here are some shots as promised in other threads of how it all looks. Just get a neoprene foam fishing rod grip (mine were almost certainly leftover from making beachcasting rods). Cut off a slice large enough to fit the depth of the eyecup and leave a similar amount extra to go around the nose of the camera. Slip this ring over the front end of the camera and set it flush with front end. Get focus on something you want a picture of, and then plug the whole thing into the left eyecup and you're done ready to use sharpcap or whatever software you normally use!

You may have to hunt about to get the right size of foam I suppose, mine happened to fit nice and snug as it was, which is why I chose to use it really.:)

I find I have to zoom in all the way to fill the frame nicely at 640x480.

I've no idea what would happen if you used a modded webcam, my Cinemas are untouched, and I get fine results, I use mine mostly for terrestrial shots, but have recently managed to get a shot of Mars, as posted in my previous thread in the Binocular section.

Sorry the pics are at best so so, taken on android and it's a bit late for a "pack shot" session at this time of day! :p

IMG_20120226_221309.jpgIMG_20120226_221325.jpg

IMG_20120226_221346.jpgIMG_20120226_221551.jpg

IMG_20120226_221637.jpg

If you want a little extra security for odd working angles (zenith etc.) then you can wrap a velcro cable tie around the eyepiece tube AND the foot of the cam.

very clever

Thank you.

Just wait until you see what I got up to with a Cinema cam, a spotting scope and two elastic bands earlier today! ;)

I have to say that one even took me by surprise; very effective but thought out and used in a slightly non linear fashion! ;)

I'll tinker some more with it tomorrow and post some details when I solve some other issues with that setup.

Archived