NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please help with filter explanations and choice!!!

Hi folks I also have been baffled by the variety of filters available, and have 2 main aims - with my 10" reflector to see faint DSOs and to get as good a view of the moon as possible.

For the DSOs I chose the Baader UHC-S

But I am stuck for the lunar views.

Question: ND or Baader Neo Moon and Skyglow?

If the Moon and Skyglow, can someone explain if the Baader Semi APO is better as it is supposed to be the Neo moon and Skyglow coupled with their Fringe Killer.

Is this worth the extra price, will it be suitable for a reflector, what will it improve / worsen?

Thanks in advance

I don't use any filter when viewing the moon with my 4" - 10" scopes.

For deep sky objects, galaxies and clusters are enhanced by dark skies rather than any filters. For nebulae, especially planetaries and supernova remnants, a UHC (you don't need the -S type with a 10" scope) or an O-III are very effective.

I can't see how a semi-apo or fringe killer will improve things with newtonians or SCT's as they are apochromatic scopes :D

Thanks John, its just that I have seen suggested by many to reduce the glare by using an ND filter when viewing the moon. Some though have suggested using the Neo Moon and Skyglow as it improves contrast. The semi APO is described as:

"combines the stronger Fringe Killer coating formula with Moon & Skyglow Neodymium glass. This combination results in a stronger violet cut when used with all refractors, but also blocks out skyglow from light pollution & the Moon, providing views with better contrast & sharpness. The Baader Planetarium Semi-APO Filter RGB enhancement boosts color contrast, particularly on Jupiter and Mars. "

Don't really understand if this helps me or not?

Archived