Better eyepiece

I've just got my first ever clear view of the moon tonight (24th Feb). I tried looking at Jupiter and Venus but I couldn't quite get it clear enough. What do people recommend the get good quality views of other planets?

I've got a Skywatcher Explorer 200P with the basic eyepieces.

The BST Explorer eyepieces get very good "vibes" on here. They are available from an outfit called "Skies the Limit" and cost £41 each. The Vixen NPLs also seem well thought of and cost £30 from First Light Optics. A 6mm would be a very useful focal length for the planets I reckon.

Looking on FLO I notice the Vixen NPLs offer a slightly narrower field of view compared to other plossls...50 degrees against 52 degrees...I wonder why that is :D

Maybe they are following Al Nagler's maxim "show no field unless it is sharp" :(

I reckon some eyepieces don't quite deliver the FoV they claim anyway - the only way to really find out is to use the timed star drift method.

Archived