NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SBC 2000 + BARLOW QUIRK

steelfixer

Hi all.

I was hoping to do some serious imaging tonight with the Samsung but the clouds put paid to that idea.

So I decided to experiment with the Samsung and a 5x Antares Barlow.

I took an AVI of Beltequese (or how ever its spelt) and although the core is blown to hell I got some intersting colour in the spikes.

The quirk I discovered was the intigration cycle did not work when the camera was running through the barlow.

Anyone have any ideas on why this should be?

thanks

Graham.

post-26845-133877736395_thumb.jpg

Hi Graham

When you say that the integration cycle did not work, what exactly do you mean?

In the end the camera has no idea what optics are in front of the CCD - exactly what settings were you using?

If your photo is with no integration and the 5x barlow, then I guess you may have been overexposing the image with integration.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Paul

The photo is just me playing around on manual settings.

I found when I tried to image M99 no matter what intigration setting I put the camera on it made no difference to the image.

I set it in to auto mode with intigration at 32 x to locate the target.

When I had the target centered I ramped the intigration up and up but it made no difference to the image.

The image remained at the same brightness/exposure at 64x, 128x and at 256x, there was absolutely no change.

As soon as I removed the barlow the intigration worked fine again.

Seems very strange to me but there must be a technical reason for this.

Graham

Hi Graham

You might want to try not using Auto mode - I usually use manual mode so that I know what the camera is doing.

In auto mode you set the maximum exposure that can be used and not the actual exposure.

On bright objects you might not need the maximum exposure so you might not see any difference as you increase the integration time.

HTH

Paul

Archived