Aligning scope..

I was performing the SkyAlign last night and I pointed at 3 bright objects and said it was a match and aligned.. I thought, perfect, let me plot in M42 (bc I know where it is and wanted to see if the scope went there)..The scope went in the completely opposite direction. Is it possible for the alignment to get stars confused? Baffled my mind a bit really. Its possible it was something that I didn't do properly, but has anyone seen this before?

There are two possibilities.

1. You didn't enter the date and location correctly. The date uses MM/DD/YYYY format and the location uses 'Deg, Min, Sec' format.

2. The battery is flat. Are you using power tank or internal AA batteries? My SE mount goes crazy when the batteries are flat.

My Meade used to do all sorts of strange things, it worked most of the time and was very good, but when it went pear shaped it done it big time, check the PSU it not overpowered. Looking out side in my part of the UK it wouldn't matter if it worked or not, very cloudy..:D

I'm actually using the Celstron A/C adapter to power it (I have the AA batteries to use as well as backup). I will double check how I am entering the date and all (I am in the US so the date format is already what I am used to.

Archived