Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focus control software?

I've just started imaging Mars with my new DMK 21 camera and the excellent Firecapture software. I'm using IR pass, red and blue filters. Firecapture allows me to semi-automate the capture process, with different video capture profiles for each filter. However, the three filters come to focus at slightly different points and I still need to adjust the focus between each filter.

The scope I use is my trust 8" LX200 Classic with the Meade (#7080) zero-image shift electronic focus on the back for fine focus adjustment.

Ideally what I want is a piece of software that will run a script to move the focus position a set distance (or for set time at a set speed) between each filter capture in the sequence.

So, for example, in a capture sequence of IR, R and B filters (for imaging Mars), I would set up the starting focus point manually (for the IR pass filter). Then I capture the video for the IR filter and firecapture leaves a ten second pause between the next filter capture, this gives me enough time to move the filter slider to the next filter ® before Firecapture starts the next capture. I also need to refocus the camera between each filter.

Ideally what I want is a piece of software that will run a script to move the focus position a set distance from its start position (or for set time at a set speed) between each filter capture in the sequence. This doesn't have to be fully automated, just the ability to move the focus position by a set amount between each filter. Is there any (cheap) software out there that will do this?

Archived