Skymax 127 AZ GOTO setup. Help please.

Hi All. I'm newbie to astronomy and this site. I had all my kit turn up tuesday night and put it all together with no problems. I have also used the viewer and zoomed in on street lights fences etc. My issue is latitude and longtitude. I live in portsmouth and I have found the co ordinates for my address, however you cannot enter a minus when setting this up on the computer. Can you please advise if I am setting this up correctly?

Postcode- PO6 2UP

Latitude- 50 50' 15" N

Longtitude- -1 3' 18" (East or west?)

Also once I have entered this. What is a good star to choose from? As I dont know any of them for brightest star or two star setup.

Thanks in advance for any advice from this forum!

Jamezer

Jamezer.

Portsmouth is West of the meridian.

To help with star identification, download Stellarium or alternatively an app for your phone. Plenty out there.

I personally use Dubhe (Plough) and Rigel (Orion)having an East facing open sky and view predominantly in the early evening.

Same set up here. Nice sharp views. Good luck.

Hi All. I'm newbie to astronomy and this site. I had all my kit turn up tuesday night and put it all together with no problems. I have also used the viewer and zoomed in on street lights fences etc. My issue is latitude and longtitude. I live in portsmouth and I have found the co ordinates for my address, however you cannot enter a minus when setting this up on the computer. Can you please advise if I am setting this up correctly?

Postcode- PO6 2UP

Latitude- 50 50' 15" N

Longtitude- -1 3' 18" (East or west?)

Also once I have entered this. What is a good star to choose from? As I dont know any of them for brightest star or two star setup.

Thanks in advance for any advice from this forum!

Jamezer

Your coordinates should be entered as 001 03 W, 50 50 N.

Peter

Archived