just confused on which scope to buy!

Been looking to buy a telescope for the last couple of weeks, partly to rekindle old interests and partly to get a hobby I can share with my little'un that he's shown an interest in.

Many moons ago, I used to own an 8" Newtonian reflector which was just a simple scope on an equatorial mount. It didnt get much use at all and found it quite difficult to use. (I recall it took meover an hour to locate the moon when I first got it and was set up!)

Anyway, things have obviously moved on since then. I was looking to go for a Meade ETX90 at first, but then thought I might as well spend a little more and get the ETX125. In the last couple of days Ive been looking at the Meade LX90GPS possibly the 12" version! (I am looking at the second hand market!)

How can I be considering such a diverse range of scopes? Well mostly 'cos I really am not sure what I can expect to achieve with them and importantly how much I want to do with them!

One thing i definitely want to do is take photos. The photos of the moon Ive seen look impressive, but I guess most can achieve reasonable results of that. The planets seem quite blurry unless a powerful scope is used and I'm certainly interested in DSO. In other words I want it all! lol

Now I've read the comments about using Meade SCT scopes and astro-photography, so I'm kinda backing off at the mo until I get some reasonable advice on what to do. Obviously I'm reading as I go.

So the important parts........ I want to take some nice photos, which I'm assuming is done digitally on a PC rather than on a DSLR? The scope will need to be relatively portable (ie can go in a car to a place less light polluted than where I live.

I dont have bottomless pockets, but then neither do I want to buy something that I'll think is pants and the rusults rubbish!

I guess this sounds like the average newbie type question then! :icon_scratch:

Even simple pointers appreciated....

If you are interested in photography the first thing to get before you get any gear is this

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

it will tell you the sort of gear you need and more importantly why.

I have tried imaging with the wrong kit and it is terribly frustrating, which is why I am saving to get the right stuff. I am not after astromag stuff just something to show the mates. so first thing to get is the information, this book will help in that respect. you have put out a fairly wide ranging question but the fact is one scope, mount and camera will not do it all especially if you try and do it cheaply.

if you want to take pics of the moon a dslr or webcam attached to a scope will do the job. planets need a webcam and a scope with a longer focal length which takes magnification better. dso's need a good tracking mount preferably guided a dslr or dedicated ccd, short focal length scope preferably an apo refractor. Visual astronomy requires big apparture scopes, imaging requires small scope which don't strain the mount. With visual astronomy it's all about the optics with imaging it's all about the mount. Get the book and it will tell you why.

I do not recommend that anyone try to jump into Astro-Photography right off the bat! It is really much more difficult than one might think ( you don't just "point and shoot" ) and one of the prime requisits is a fair knowledge of the night sky.

I am sure that Richards' book will give you a lot of good information, but there are many resources out there that will help to get you started. Just learn to walk, before you run !

You might want to give our club's website a look. Here is a URL:

TSA Resources

Good luck to you! Jim

Archived