Barlow question...

Can someone please help me out...

I understand the concept of a Barlow Lens, magnifying the image obtained by the fitted lens.

However, can you advise for example, if a 2 x Barlow is attached to a 25mm lens, does this turn it into a 12.5mm lens, with a narrowing of field-of-view, or does it just magnify the view whilst retaining the original wide angle...?

Dougie (who had a cracking view of Saturn this morning...:D)

Can I ask another Barlow question, please?

I've got the 2x Barlow that came with my SW150P, so with my basic 25mm and 10mm eyepieces I get a selection of 30x, 60x, 75x and 150x.

I've seen 3x Barlows (Barlowes?) advertised. If I got one, it would add 90x and 225x to my selection. But is a 3x Barlow as worthwhile as the 2x?

Would I be better advised to buy a couple more eyepieces instead?

Hi, I would suggest buying a high power eyepiece. A 6mm will give you 200x, or a 5mm 240x, although that may be pushing it a bit? Others might suggest a 3x barlow, but I can't really see the big advantage of it, for me a dedicated high power EP would be preferable!

Archived