Alternative webcam

Hi,

For planetary/lunar imaging Is there a viable alternative to the much vaunted Philips SPC880/900 webcams?

As you know these are now either difficult to find or very expensive (for a webcam).

Am I right in saying these are popular due to having CCD chips as opposed to CMOS type sensors?

Many thanks for your advice

Dave

I decided to have a go with a cheap webcam and see if it was the road i wanted to go down, I don't know if it's a CCD and i'm not saying it's good or how it will be on Jupiter but it lets my 3 year old see the moon without swinging on the eyepiece, if nothing else it might let me learn how to work the editing software before i spend the cash on something better. The camera is a Logitech C270P, it's only £9.99 from that big electrical store named after a lump of ice traveling through space. I only started just after Christmas so have a very long way to go, but i'm having fun so far.

I've brought an xbox live cam and an adaptor off FLO earlier today. Needs a bit of modding and not sure what the sensor is but a couple of others have tried this.

Anything is cheaper than the SPC900 at the min.

Radders

Archived