NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone used a GoPro HD Hero for imaging?

Paul-F

I have a couple of GoPro HD-Hero cameras that I use on my bike and with the kids for their activities ....

I have used the camera with ep projection attached to a 26mm plossl which gives a crisp focused image however there is a blank section right in the centre of the image that covers maybe 10% of the image diameter and the projected image itself is circular at about 1/2 height of the full screen - it looks to me like the ep is limiting what gets to the ccd sensor through the camers lens ..

I was wondering how they would fare as an astro imaging device with my LX90 if I took the lens out. If they are really not up to that task then I won't risk taking the lens out.

I've got one of them, too. They're amazing little cameras. I use it for snowboarding, biking, surfing, and thinking of taking it with me skydiving. I thought of the same thing, but an Internet search revealed other people who had the same aspirations but found that the camera just isn't sensitive enough. It really needs a fair amount of light; for astronomical use the sensor is photon starved and you don't get anything useful out of it. It's too bad, really, because I could just imagine the amazing video it would give if it would work!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.288070,-81.207538

Archived