Which one is better

*shrugs* probably much of muchness. I've not looked through either, but based on the specs:

The Mak has a significantly longer focal length so you will give up the wider views offered by the Newtonian. Then again, that Newtonian is f/4.4 which I feel is rather a fast focal ratio for a beginner scope. You'll see a lot of coma at that focal ratio and cheap eyepieces will show lots of astigmatism. In other words, the views should be sharper in the Mak.

Well at present I was looking for a grab n go instrument actually i had thought of getting orion skyscanner 100, but 114 is just the same price as skyscanner, so i dropped it off. But a senior astronomer suggested me mak 102, I want to enjoy the wide field views as well. Will using a barlow decrease coma effectively?

Coma increases away from the centre of the true field of view. So at higher powers you notice less coma because you're looking at a smaller angular extent of sky. Either higher power eyepieces or a barlow will decrease coma. Low power views will show coma.

Coma isn't an awful thing. I use an f/4.8 without a coma corrector and I've got used to it. The Newt may be a better grab and go since it will cool faster than the Mak.

The mak will be great for looking at the moon and planets and also has a more solid mount. Theoretically the extra aperture of the newt will give you a little more resolution but in reality the views with the mak are likely to be more pleasing, a tad more contrast and the long focal length will reduce aberations. The larger mount will reduce vibrations and will be a big help at the longer focal lengths. The newt will need collimating, not a big job but at F4.4 it will probably need doing every time you go out.

The newt will perform better on deep sky objects because of it's extra aperture. It will be a better scope for wide field views.

The mak is a much more compact scope than the newt.

Archived