astronomy club - cambridge

Hi,

I hope everyone is ok! Does anybody happen to know if there are any clubs in the Cambridge area?

I have been using my skwatcher 130 reflector for a couple of years and am starting to itch for some astrophotography. I would like to upgrade to some better equipment but firstly I just want to start with the real basics. I don't want to spend thousands on the top gear. I want to start small and build up as time rolls on and my experience allows me to get more sophisticated. I suppose I don't want to dampen my enthusiasm by getting out of my depth.

I would like to meet people who can help me with the basics and maybe allow me to look at some set ups so I can decide what the set up for me is!

Having said that, I also love just looking through my scope and don't want to loose touch with that. It would be great just to share some viewing experiences and stories

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I think the closest amateur observing sessions are with St. Neots AA.

https://sites.google.com/site/stneotsastronomyassociation/

Next one is 6th March at Paxton Pits.

I've not been along to the Cambridge AA or Cambridge Young Astronomers.

I always got the impression it was more focused on talks and lectures, and looking through the big Cambridge University telescopes rather than amateur observing on people's own scopes.

I think its a great place to go to learn more about the universe, but the Madingley Road site, would be a bit grim for light-pollution, certainly no better than my own NE Cambridge location.

I'm still hunting for another Darker Site on the east side of cambridge as this looks to be the darkest area to us.

I'm going to try and get to my first SNAA meeting at Paxton Pits in March and see how that goes.

Badgers

[Attached is the LP map around Cambridge]

post-31839-133877735545_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a real shame that the Cambridge club had to close their observatory site at Wandlebury, that might have been reasonable.

Not seen the ely club before, must check that out.

I'm hoping its clear on 6th March for the St. Neots Astro observing night at Paxton pits.

From the map it would have issues with St. Neots LP and Huntingdon to the North, I'm sure its much better than a balcony in central Cambridge.

Hey there, Ford Prefect! Thanks for that! I'll get in touch with the Ely club and report back on what it's like. If there's anyone that's into this that lives in Newmarket, too. It'd be great to meet up. Dave

Archived