What can I expect to see using solar safety film?

JonnyP

Just this afternoon I put a solar filter together using Baader film and managed to get the telescope out just before the sun disappeared behind the rooftops.

Very apprehensively I peered into the EP, expecting to blind myself and was pleased to find that it worked! I'm not blind! More to the point I could look at the sun, and look at sunspots. (It wasn't dust in the scope as I suspected but actual sunspots which I id'd on the web!)

After 10 minutes the sun had disappeared behind houses, so I took my kit in.

Using this film am I able to see CMEs or just sunspots?

Just a quick one Jonny, everytime you take that filter out, hold it up against the sun and just check there are no breakages, splits etc before you put her on the scope and look. I know you know the score etc, but get disciplined on doing it, I nearly made a terrible mistake once and id never not check it again beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to emphasise the filter safety..

I check it before I put it on the scope by holding it up agaist a filament bulb , checking to make sure theres no light coming through... if you can se pinholes or cracks.. bin it and get another.

The sun with a white light filter makes an excellent imaging target.. I use my digital camera ant take loads of pics and stack them to pull out loads of detail..

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-solar/81040-ss-1019-a.html

HTH

Greg

Archived